December 09, 2004

Back safe and reasonably sane

Remember the Beverly Hillbillys and their loaded-down truck? Pots and pans hanging off'n it, and the washtub lashed to the front bumper. Granny's rocking chair was sitting up top, balanced precariously on the pile of everything they owned.

The trip back from Michigan wasn't quite that bad.

Bungee cords are your friend.

No college student should own that much crap.

I carefully planned this one around good weather, and we made the return trip on the one non-rainy day forecasted for the week. The ride up was an adventure, going through Pennsylvania I hit fog so thick you couldn't see fifty feet in front of you, then a blinding driving rain on the turnpike's downhill run. Mostly though, it was drizzly and rainy and showery and blustery. Enough to keep you alert and paying attention to the road, not enough to dampen my good spirits.

I saw the most vivid rainbow in my life in Ohio. The colors were electric and it was very close. A few minutes later it was joined by a second, slightly more faint arc. Awesome.

We packed the truck twice. The first time in the parking lot of her dorm and the second time in a commuter lot about 10 miles south of her campus. I made her give stuff away to the kids who helped bring her stuff down from the room. Stuff that wouldn't fit in the truck.

No one should own that many shoes. Her nickname as a teen was "Imelda", and she's still living up to that name.

I ended up driving the entire way back (11+ hours) because I just couldn't contort myself enough to sit in the passenger seat around the crap on the floor. When we tried to make the driver swap, Robyn popped into the Starbucks on the turnpike plaza for a large coffee and a double-shot of caffeine. It was kinda funny watching her buzz for awhile after that. Yakata-yakata-yakata-yakata...

So I drove on, doing fine and enjoying the ride. We got home late last night and unloaded granny's rocker Robyn's life, and even got most of it put away (at least temporarily).

Son just left for work - job 1 this morning, first day at job 2 this afternoon - and Mookie is bumbling around getting things together for school. So why am I up? My legs are griping a little bit this morning about the long drive, teetering on the very edge of a massive charlie horse. I get up and walk around every few minutes, do the stairs a couple of times, stretching out and keeping them warm.

The whole family is home again. Nice. (temporarily... temporarily... temporarily...)

Posted by Ted at December 9, 2004 05:19 AM
Category: Square Pegs

Welcome back,Yed!Glad it went o.k.Hope to see ya Saturday.

Posted by: Russ at December 9, 2004 06:58 AM

Welcome home, Ted and Robyn!

Posted by: Pixy Misa at December 9, 2004 08:15 AM

It's amazing how much crap they can pack into a dorm room isn't it? I know my parents were always amazed.

Posted by: Catt at December 9, 2004 08:38 AM
Post a comment

Remember personal info?

Site Meter